Oakland Rent Board Announces 2.7% Annual CPI Rent Increase Rate
The Oakland Rent Board announced the annual CPI rate for rent increases effective July 1, 2020, and lasting until June 30, 2021. Rent increases for tenants in Oakland rental units covered by the Oakland Rent Ordinance’s rent control protections are capped at 2.7%. Landlords may not serve a rent increase on a covered unit exceeding 2.7%.
The Oakland Rent Ordinance consists of a rent control component, which protects tenants from drastic rent increases, and a just cause for eviction component, which limits when a landlord may serve an eviction. Tenants forced to pay rent above Oakland rent control limitations are entitled to money damages.
Oakland tenants not covered by Oakland Rent Control may be covered by California Rent Control, also known as the California Tenant Protection Act of 2019 (AB 1482). Click here for more information.
If your landlord has violated the Oakland Rent Ordinance or California Rent Control (AB 1482) contact Astanehe Law immediately at (415) 226-7170 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options and speak with an experienced tenant attorney.
- Palo Alto Rent Ordinance Basics
- Affordable Security Deposits for California Tenants Beginning on July 1, 2024
- California Prohibits Employers From Restricting California Workers with Noncompete Agreements
- California Requires Written Notice to California Workers that Noncompete Agreements are Void
- Can The Landlord Turn Off The Water in California?